Monday, July 24, 2006

Newspapers - Rated R??

A lazy sunday morning in the, not so distant future, I get out of my bed, open the door of my apartment and there is a the huge ream of newspaper outside my house. As I approach to pick it up - I notice that there is something strange about the newspaper, instead of the usual front page there's a huge white plastic sheet covering the contents of the daily dose of news and the following is written on it:

Rated R*** for depictions/images of intense violence, bloodshed, sexual torture. Not advisable for children. Might result in serious mental disturbance. Discretion advised while perusing the contents enclosed. Please discard in the unwarranted community newspaper dumpster if inappropriate and get your money back!

Disclaimer: Times of Dystopia, Neverland
*** The last PG rated edition of Times of Dystopia can be obtained from your local library.

Sounds strange ? But it does not, atleast to me. It has become very usual to see newspapers ridden with all the news of mayhem all over the world. Last week itself there was such gore in the front pages, that the news left in me a pocket of sadness through the day. I know I am being a "chicken" but the news did disturb me at a very deep level.

So should we start censoring the news that flows into our homes ? I know this sounds absolutely absurd because news is supposed to be stark and absolutely clear to the minutest detail. But our society also has sections who have various levels of acceptance/tolerance levels which need to be catered to.

This might make you question that in such a case most of the citizens of the world might remain uninformed about the exact state of world affairs. Well!! with the advancement in personal liberties and laws... may be we will have a "Right to be NOT Informed". What say ?

1 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Blogger Chandoo said...

"54 killed, 30 of them are kids",
"I am ok for kisses, but no nudity please: a budding actress reveals",
"Doctors chop off limbs of people to turn them in to beggers"

these are the lines with which my morning begins, not that I want to escape to imaginary utopia, but then, i am not sure how much I can pocket this...

very well written raa... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home